Thursday, September 11, 2008

They don’t bother me

A lot of people are bothered by Palin. I’m not. Absent the fierce ambition that got her into that big white house in Juneau, she seems like a lot of people I’ve known. I disagree with some of her beliefs and philosophies, but I agree with others, and who cares anyway? She aims to be Vice President. Until McCain croaks, that doesn’t mean a lot more than being honorary mayor in a town run by the chamber of commerce. If he does, I sense her independent Christian and female instincts will work well within the Constitutional system, and things will turn out fine.

A lot of people are bothered by Obama. I’m not. Absent the admirably high self-esteem that got him through Chicago politics and enabled his reinvention into the image of a seemingly new kind of Senator, he seems like a lot of people I’ve known. I disagree with his standard left-Democrat positions on a lot of things, but so what? I grew up around folks just like him, and I understand them and him. So his wife wasn’t “proud” of America before. So he belonged to an avidly anti-white-America church. This is all old news where I come from and I grasp the multiple layers of political consciousness that such associations entail. He’s a great communicator and way too smart to become, say, another Carter. Under Obama, things will turn out fine.

A lot of people are bothered by Biden. I’m not. I wrote as if I was a few posts back, but I wasn’t serious, merely unimpressed. Other than the minor scandals that ended his earlier Presidential bids, I know nothing about him except as a sort of whipping boy for the occasional conservative editorialist. And even the most right-wing conservatives allow he’s an unfailingly decent man, well-versed in the practical realities of Washington, and I have to admit, he and Obama make a handsome pair. With Biden as President of the Senate, things will turn out fine.

A lot of people are bothered by McCain. I’m not. I don’t pretend to be overly impressed with his military record. He comported himself well, but I’m more interested in his decision to forego a path to the Admiralty and instead work with the politicians. Not sure what to make of that but his record does show independence and general good judgment. Current pundits’ juvenile use of the word “McSame” doesn’t sway me: It is extremely clear he has made compromises in order to get where he is, but we all know that the game changes once a President takes office, and in a relatively short time his fundamental character will outweigh any recent accommodations to the out-going Bush loyalists. Under McCain, things will turn out fine.

Different in each case. The two men as President will react quite differently to provocations from the real chess players out there – Russia, Iran, China – and will push somewhat different economic agendas. But I have faith in my country and in the promise of the future generally; and though I often characterize politicians as having a special species of the criminal mind, they don’t really bother me. Things’ll turn out fine.

No comments: